Chocolate Orange Brownies are so good, so festive and so so easy to make. Unpack those Terry's Chocolate Oranges and give your Brownies an extra Festive taste sensation!
If I was to say to you 'Terry's Chocolate Orange', I'm pretty certain you'd know I am posting this in the run up to Christmas. Because Chocolate Orange and Christmas in the UK go hand in hand. At the time of writing this it is the end of November and a Chocolate Orange is the only festive thing I have bought so far this year. So what else would I think to do with them? Bake with them of course!
Now, I'm not really a fan of a flavoured chocolate, but flavoured Chocolate Brownies are slightly different and Orange Chocolate Brownies, are divine.
These are super easy to make, and all I really did was substitute some of the chocolate from my usual chocolate brownies recipe with a Terry's chocolate Orange. I then added the zest of a whole orange for extra orangeyness.
Why Use a Terry's Chocolate Orange?
The Joy of a Chocolate Orange is that it is chocolate with the perfect balance of flavour already factored in. Also, if you don't fancy the Milk Chocolate variety there is also a Dark Chocolate alternative that is utterly delicious.
Unlike some chocolate bars, a Chocolate Orange melts very well and is perfect in the mix of a Brownie. Also, they are great to use for decoration! Tastes like an orange and looks like an orange.
A Note on Decorating the Top
I always wait at least 15 minutes before adding chocolates to the top of a Brownie. After 15 minutes you can literally place the chocolates on the top and the residual heat from the Brownie will melt the chocolates enough for them to stick.
On my Chocolate Orange Brownies I also added broken up Orange Matchmakers, because they also just scream Christmas at me!
You can use other Orange Flavour Chocolate. You will need 100gms for this recipe, not including decoration.
Pro-Tip for Chocolate Orange Brownies
Brownies get better before they start to go stale, which means these can be made a couple of days in advance and kept in an airtight container. If you are making treat boxes or are going to a Christmas Fair these Chocolate Orange Brownies can be one of the first things you make and leave to one side whilst you make baked items that need to be made fresher.
The Brownie becomes gooier and the orange flavour matures and becomes more intense over a couple of days.
Terry's Chocolate Orange Brownies Recipe
- 1 mixing bowl - microwave proof
- 1 8" square Brownie Baking Tin
- 1 Terry's Chocolate Orange Milk or Dark Chocolate Variety
- 100 gms Dark Chocolate
- 130 gms Butter or Baking Spread
- 1 Orange Zested
- 220 gms Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 130 gms Plain Flour
- 0.5 tspn Baking Powder
- Pre heat your oven to 160c fan, 180c, 350f, gm4
- Line your Baking Tin with Greaseproof Paper or Baking Parchment
- Remove 8 segments of your Terry's Chocolate Orange and place to one side for decoration.
- In a microwave proof mixing bowl place the remaining Terry's Chocolate Orange, Dark Chocolate broken into pieces and your butter
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate is melted
- Stir slowly until the chocolate and butter is fully combined into a glossy mix
- Zest the orange and mix through
- Add the sugar and mix in
- Add the Eggs and mix until combined
- Lastly add the flour and baking powder and mix until well combined
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
- Your Brownie is baked when a skewer placed in the centre comes out wet with crumbs of chocolate, but not covered in chocolate.
- If you prefer a gooier Brownie cook for less time. If you like a Brownie that is more cakey, bake for slightly longer
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes
- Arrange the remaining 8 Segments of Chocolate Orange on top of the Brownie however you like and allow the residual heat to melt them
- Allow to cool fully before turning out and slicing