There are many reasons to eat a Vegan or Plant Based diet, from ethical beliefs to food intolerances. These Vegan Brownies are by their very nature dairy free, and with a little tweak can also be gluten free. However, they are far from flavour free, and anyone and everyone will enjoy these delicious ooey, gooey, chocolate brownies, no matter what diet you eat.
I have been encouraged to make these Vegan Brownies after being gifted some chocolate from Plamil for Professionals. I was given several different varieties from their range including 72% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, which I used in this recipe. I also used their Bake Stable Dark Chocolate Micro-Dots on top as decoration.
This Vegan Brownies Recipe is super simple to make. As easy as any other Brownie in fact, but are so tasty you would never ever know they were in fact Dairy Free.
'Free From' Vegan Brownies
Vegan means no butter, so this recipe uses oil as it's fat content. I used rapeseed oil, but any flavourless oil can be used including vegetable or sunflower.
The moisture in the mix comes from a milk alternative. I used oat milk, but if you prefer soya, almond or even coconut then any and all will taste delicious.
As these brownies have a large quantity of liquid, in the form of a milk alternative, they are also ideal to use with Gluten Free Flour. The liquid content and dark chocolate ensures the gluten free flour remains moist and chewy, as a brownie should be.
There are no complicated or unusual ingredients in this brownies recipe. No flax, no tofu, and no other ingredients that you may not have used before, which is why they are really simple to make.
Vegan Brownies Recipe
- 2 Mixing Bowls One must be microwave proof
- 1 8" Square Brownie Tin or equivalent
- 80 gms Oil. I used Rapseseed Read full Post for alternatives
- 150 gms Plain Flour
- 20 gms Cocoa
- 240 ml Milk Alternative - I Used Oat Milk Read full Post for alternatives
- 200 gms Vegan/Dairy Free Chocolate
- 200 gms Granulated Sugar
- 1 Handful Choc Vegan/Dairy Free Choc Chips to decorate
- Pre-heat your oven to 160c fan, 180c, 350f, GM4
- Prepare you baking tin by greasing and lining with parchment or greaseproof paper
- In a mixing bowl place the oil, flour and cocoa and mix will
- Add the milk and mix until combined
- In a microwave proof bowl melt the Chocolate
- Add the sugar and stir through
- Add the chocolate and sugar mix, to the oil, flour, cocoa and milk mixture and mix until combined
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. If you prefer fudgier brownies bake for slightly less time. If you prefer cakey brownies bake for slightly longer
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before sprinkling with the chocolate chips. The heat from the Brownie will melt the chips to the tops
- Wait another 20 minutes before removing from the tin and transferring to a wire rack to cool fully
- Cut and serve