Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes? Are you sure they are Vegan? Really? But they look so 'normal'!
For various reason, we often get asked to make Eggless and/or Dairy Free cakes. This recipe is a fail safe, easy to make, yummy scummy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes recipe, which means Dairy Free AND Eggless!
To be honest, if no-one told you these were Vegan, you'd never know it, or believe it, because these Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes are light, fluffy, moist, rich, chocolatey and easy to make - everything a Cupcake should be, with nothing missing in taste and texture.
They do use a spread to add the fat content. My choice of spread is the Pure Sunflower Spread as it's great for baking and frosting, but use which ever spread is suitable to your needs.
I also used a standard Unsweetened Soya Milk in the recipe, but if for any reason you can't have Soya, any of the nut or oat based milks will work well, and may even give them a slightly richer texture.
As they have quite a high liquid contect they would also take Gluten Free Flour really well. Make sure you 'overmix' it to get the best texture.
This recipe will make 12 and when I made these I cored the middles and added a Morello Cherry Conserve, so when you bit through the middle there was an ooey gooey cherry centre.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 175 gms Dairy Free Spread
- 120 gms Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsn Golden Syrup or Corn Syrup
- 250 ml/gms Soya Milk (or dairy free milk of your choice)
- 170 gms Plain Flour
- 60 gms Cocoa
- 1 tspn Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tspn Baking Powder
- Pre Heat you oven to 170c, 150c fan, GM5, 375f
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 cases
- Cream together the Dairy Free Spread, Sugar and Golden Syrup until light and fluffy
- Fold in the Milk until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the Flour, Cocoa, Bicarb and Baking Powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and carefully fold in.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into te centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool fully
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 100 gms Dairy Free Spread
- 300 gms Icing Sugar
- 50 gms Cocoa
- Place the Spread into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Add the icing sugar and Cocoa to the butter, and mix in using a fork. At first it will look like you have far too much icing sugar, but the moisture content of the spread will soon soak it up.
- When you have a thick mix, go back in with your electric beater and on full power mix for a good 5 minutes until light and fluffy.